Sound English skills are essential for progress across the curriculum and to prepare pupils effectively for tasks of adult life.
At White Cliffs staff have a responsibility to develop pupils’ competence in reading, writing, speaking and listening to ensure that pupils become competent users of language, and can access the curriculum effectively and achieve their potential.
At White Cliffs Primary school we:
- Recognises the effect that a confident, fluent and coherent understanding of English will have on a pupil’s progress, both inside and outside of the school environment.
- Understands how a strong grounding in English will impact the future learning and development of a pupil in all aspects of their life
- Provides a balanced and broad curriculum which encompasses writing practice, including handwriting, spelling, widening vocabulary, and writing for different styles, purposes, and audiences, as well as focussing on spoken English, reading, grammar and pronunciation.
- Ensures that all staff members are aware of planning, assessment, teaching and learning requirements for the English curriculum.
- Ensures that all pupils know how to plan, practise and evaluate their work.
- Ensures that all pupils understand all elements of English, as per the national curriculum.