Geography develops pupils’ understanding of the world in which they live through the study of place, space and environment. Whilst geography provides a basis for pupils to understand their role within the world, by exploring locality and how people fit into a global structure, the subject also encourages children to learn through experience, particularly through practical and fieldwork activities.
Through the teaching of geography, White Cliffs Primary School aims to:
• Increase pupils’ awareness, knowledge and understanding of other cultures.
• Develop pupils’ graphic skills, including how to use, draw and interpret maps.
• Make pupils aware of environmental problems at a local, regional and global level.
• Encourage pupils to commit to sustainable development.
• Develop a variety of skills, including those in relation to problem-solving, ICT and presenting conclusions in the most appropriate way.